fetching distfiles for p5.30-libapreq2 hanging or crashing macOS Big Sur

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Jan 27 21:39:23 UTC 2021

On Jan 27, 2021, at 15:36, Murray Eisenberg wrote:

> I don’t understand what it means to try using MacPorts master (2.6.99) instead. You’re assuming far more knowledge or experience than I possess!
>
> Where on GitHub is that version? What do I do with it? If I install it, what happens to all the ports I already installed under Big Sur 11.1 using 2.6.4?
>
> And the cited Comment 3 says that if that does not work, to set the number of simultaneous pings lower, which is what I’m trying to do. So is the cited line in file /opt/local/libexec/macports/lib/port1.0/fetch_common.tcl only for this 2.6.99?

Yes. The limit on the simultaneous number of pings was not added to MacPorts until after the currently released version 2.6.4.

2.6.99 (or anything .99) means the master in our repository.

Instructions for building master from source are in the guide:

https://guide.macports.org/#installing.macports.git

Nothing happens to your installed ports.