fetching distfiles for p5.30-libapreq2 hanging or crashing macOS Big Sur

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 21:55:13 UTC 2021

Ahh…that helps greatly, thank you!

I notice that most, or even all, of the commands given it the “2.2.3 Git install” directions at https://guide.macports.org/#installing.macports.git <https://guide.macports.org/#installing.macports.git> require that I use “sudo”, even though I’m on an admin account. For example, I had to do:

	sudo mkdir -p /iopt/mports

and

	sudo ./configure —enable-readline
	sudo make

whereas the only commands listed in those directions indicate the need for sudo only in “sudo make install”.

Am I doing something wrong?

> On 27 Jan2021, at 4:39 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>
> On Jan 27, 2021, at 15:36, Murray Eisenberg wrote:
>
>> I don’t understand what it means to try using MacPorts master (2.6.99) instead. You’re assuming far more knowledge or experience than I possess!
>>
>> Where on GitHub is that version? What do I do with it? If I install it, what happens to all the ports I already installed under Big Sur 11.1 using 2.6.4?
>>
>> And the cited Comment 3 says that if that does not work, to set the number of simultaneous pings lower, which is what I’m trying to do. So is the cited line in file /opt/local/libexec/macports/lib/port1.0/fetch_common.tcl only for this 2.6.99?
>
> Yes. The limit on the simultaneous number of pings was not added to MacPorts until after the currently released version 2.6.4.
>
> 2.6.99 (or anything .99) means the master in our repository.
>
> Instructions for building master from source are in the guide:
>
> https://guide.macports.org/#installing.macports.git
>
> Nothing happens to your installed ports.

---
Murray Eisenberg			murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
503 King Farm Blvd #101
Rockville, MD 20850-6667	Mobile (413)-427-5334