fetching distfiles for p5.30-libapreq2 hanging...

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 14:13:33 UTC 2021

> On27 Jan 2021 16:05:57 -0600, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org <mailto:ryandesign at macports.org>> wrote:
>

> On Jan 27, 2021, at 15:55, Murray Eisenberg wrote:
>>
>> Ahh?that helps greatly, thank you!
>>
>> I notice that most, or even all, of the commands given it the ?2.2.3 Git install? directions at https://guide.macports.org/#installing.macports.git <https://guide.macports.org/#installing.macports.git>require that I use ?sudo?, even though I?m on an admin account. For example, I had to do:
>>
>> 	sudo mkdir -p /iopt/mports
>>
>> and
>>
>> 	sudo ./configure ?enable-readline
>> 	sudo make
>>
>> whereas the only commands listed in those directions indicate the need for sudo only in ?sudo make install?.
>>
>> Am I doing something wrong?
>
> On my system, /opt is a directory owned by root. Perhaps it is the same on your system. As such, yes, you need sudo to be able to create a file or directory inside it.
>
> You could set the ownership of the directory that you create to yourself so that you can then perform further operations inside that directory as your user without sudo.
>
> sudo mkdir /opt/mports
> sudo chown yourusername /opt/mports
> cd /opt/mports
>
> You should not configure and make any software as root or with sudo. Use your own user account. Only use sudo to make install.

Does the dictum against configuring or making any software with sudo apply to installing and upgrading ports with MacPorts?

i ask because I always need to use "sudo port install…." and "sudo port upgrade …." , etc. Should I change ownership of MacPorts directories? And if so, which ones?

---
Murray Eisenberg			murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
503 King Farm Blvd #101
Rockville, MD 20850-6667	Mobile (413)-427-5334