Warning: invalid universal_archs configured (should contain at least 2 archs)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Jun 25 22:42:17 UTC 2021

On Jun 16, 2021, at 03:17, André-John Mas wrote:

> I have recently started getting the following warning:
>
> "Warning: invalid universal_archs configured (should contain at least 2 archs)"
>
> I have looked through the FAQ, a web search and what might seem to be relevant documentation, but I am not sure how to resolve this?

Edit macports.conf and set universal_archs to a value that is two or more valid architectures for your OS version, or comment that line out (by putting a # in front of it) to let MacPorts do so by default.

> My operating environment:
>
>  - 2019 16" MacBook Pro (Intel processor)
>  - macOS 11.4
>  - MacPorts 2.7.1
>
> What I have done:
>
> - Run `sudo port platform`, which gives:
>
>  Warning: invalid universal_archs configured (should contain at least 2 archs)
>  Platform: darwin 20 i386
>
> - Run `sudo port -d platform`, which gives:
>
>  Warning: invalid universal_archs configured (should contain at least 2 archs)
>  DEBUG: Copying /Users/ajmas/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dt.Xcode.plist to /opt/local/var/macports/home/Library/Preferences
>  Platform: darwin 20 i386
>
> - Tried modifying `/opt/local/etc/macports/macports.conf` adding the following, but no change in behaviour:
>
>  build_arch arm64 x86_64

Setting build_arch to more than one architecture is invalid. Set it to the single architecture that you want to build for when not building universal, i.e. x86_64.

>  universal_archs arm64 x86_64

This is the correct setting for universal_archs on your OS version. Having it set to this value should prevent the warning you see from appearing.