Migration after hardware failure

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Tue Mar 2 17:56:50 UTC 2021

Hi:

My old computer, which was running OS X 10.10, failed and I’ve replaced it with anew iMac running 10.15.  The drive in the old system was fine so I pulled it out and mounted it in an external enclosure so I could recover my file using Migration Assistant.

Looking at the Migration instructions [1], I don’t quite fit any of the mentioned scenarios.  If I try to get a list of requested ports, it fails thusly:

$ port echo requested
Error: Current platform "darwin 19" does not match expected platform "darwin 14"
Error: If you upgraded your OS, please follow the migration instructions: https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration
OS platform mismatch
    while executing
"mportinit ui_options global_options global_variations"
Error: /opt/local/bin/port: Failed to initialize MacPorts, OS platform mismatch

Do I just need to install the correct version of MacPorts for this OS or is there something else I should be doing?

[1] https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration

Thanks,

Craig