Migration after hardware failure

Bill Cole macportsusers-20171215 at billmail.scconsult.com
Tue Mar 2 18:55:07 UTC 2021

On 2 Mar 2021, at 12:56, Craig Treleaven wrote:

> Hi:
>
> My old computer, which was running OS X 10.10, failed and I’ve
> replaced it with anew iMac running 10.15.  The drive in the old system
> was fine so I pulled it out and mounted it in an external enclosure so
> I could recover my file using Migration Assistant.
>
> Looking at the Migration instructions [1], I don’t quite fit any of
> the mentioned scenarios.

Sure you do: it's a system upgrade.  It just has the added quirk of your
MacPorts installation being under /Volumes/<OLD_DRIVE>/opt/local/ .

If you copy that entire directory to /opt/local on your new system, you
can then proceed as described on the Migration page. So, make this Step
0:

      cp -a /Volumes/<OLD_DRIVE>/opt/local /opt/

> If I try to get a list of requested ports, it fails thusly:
>
> $ port echo requested
> Error: Current platform "darwin 19" does not match expected platform
> "darwin 14"
> Error: If you upgraded your OS, please follow the migration
> instructions: https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration
> OS platform mismatch
>     while executing
> "mportinit ui_options global_options global_variations"
> Error: /opt/local/bin/port: Failed to initialize MacPorts, OS platform
> mismatch

OK, so it looks like you already did that copy, since you have (a wrong
version of) /opt/local/bin/port.

> Do I just need to install the correct version of MacPorts for this OS

Yes. Step 2 on the Migration page.

The "port echo requested" command is Step 3(b) and you need to do all
prior steps prior to this.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org