Build servers offline due to failed SSD

Balthasar Indermuehle balt at inside.net
Sun Mar 14 11:11:16 UTC 2021

I used to run mac servers in what now can only be described as the days of
yore... when a 32GB RAM bank cost a lot more than a (spinning) disk - and
those were expensive then too. SSDs were not here yet. I haven't checked
pricing lately, but I'd think you could put 256GB of RAM into a server for
probably about the same as a 1TB SSD, and that would offer plenty of build
space when used as a RAM drive. And that space will not degrade over time
(unlike the SSD). In terms of longevity, for a machine with such a
singularly targeted use case, I'd seriously consider taking the expense
now, and have a server that lives for another decade.

Dr Balthasar Indermühle
Inside Systems Pty Ltd
5007/101 Bathurst Street
Sydney NSW 2000, Australia