Error: Failed to build source-highlight: command execution failed

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed May 5 21:14:06 UTC 2021

On May 5, 2021, at 12:19, tom eee wrote:

> Second, I retried 'sudo port install source-light' with no success.  The main.log was very big, so I cut out a big portion of the middle and attached it to this email.

The log still shows the same error described in https://trac.macports.org/ticket/59258 and shows that MacPorts still recognizes that you have Xcode 4.2.

Deleting parts of logs can make it harder for us to help you. A better file size reduction choice is to compress the log.

> Third, I downloaded Xcode 4.6.3 and when the opened dmg directed me to install the Xcode in my Application folder, I checked for what was already there first, only to discover that I had Xcode 4.6.3 installed in the Application folder since 2013!  I then looked in the Developer folder and discovered Xcode 4.2 was there.  So I am confused about how to make Xcode 4.6.3 the version that MacPorts sees when it is doing it's thing and do I now have to do some update for Developer?

The /Developer folder is obsolete. You can delete it. It is where Apple used to install Xcode and associated files, but sometime after Xcode 4.2 they stopped doing that. Xcode now belongs in /Applications.

You can use "xcode-select -print-path" to see what Xcode your system is configured to use. MacPorts will use this Xcode.

Assuming it does not say the path is /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer, change it to that by running "sudo xcode-select -switch /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer"

Then you can run "sudo port clean source-highlight" and try to install it again.