[tcl installation]

Maxim Abalenkov maxim.abalenkov at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 11:34:07 UTC 2021

Dear all,

How are you? I hope all is well with you. I have a relatively simple question. I would like to install Tcl in order to compile the VMD code and its plugins from source (http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/plugins/doxygen/compiling.html#compiling). So far I have installed the tcl port:

tcl @8.6.11_0+corefoundation+threads (active)

Commands ‘which tcl’ and ‘whereis tcl’ return nothing. I need to find Tcl’s ‘include' and ‘lib' directories in order to compile VMD’s plugins. The command

sudo find /opt -name “tcl*” results in

  /opt/local/bin/tclsh8.6
  /opt/local/bin/tclsh

and

  /opt/local/include
  /opt/local/lib/tcl8
  /opt/local/lib/tcl8.6

There I see some Tcl header and library files. Are these the files that I have to use? Is the main Tcl executable called “tclsh” instead of the bare “tcl”?

When I set the TCLINC=/opt/local/include/ and TCLLIB=/opt/local/lib/tcl8.6/ and run the compilation as

  gmake MACOSX TCLINC=$TCLINC TCLLIB=$TCLLIB/lib_MACOSX

it crashes with the following error:

gmake[1]: Entering directory '/Users/mabalenk/install/vmd/plugins'
gmake[2]: Entering directory '/Users/mabalenk/install/vmd/plugins/molfile_plugin'
Building Molecule File Reader plugins
c++: error: /opt/local/lib/tcl8.6//lib_MACOSX: No such file or directory
gmake[2]: *** [Makefile:381: vtfplugin.so] Error 1
gmake[2]: Leaving directory '/Users/mabalenk/install/vmd/plugins/molfile_plugin'
gmake[1]: *** [Makefile:154: molfilelibs] Error 1
gmake[1]: Leaving directory '/Users/mabalenk/install/vmd/plugins'
gmake: *** [Make-arch:437: MACOSX] Error 2

What is this magical lib_MACOSX and where do I find it? Thank you for your help and have a great day ahead!

—
Best wishes,
Maxim

Maxim Abalenkov \\ maxim.abalenkov at gmail.com