[tcl installation]

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Nov 5 14:06:51 UTC 2021

On Nov 3, 2021, at 06:34, Maxim Abalenkov wrote:

> How are you? I hope all is well with you. I have a relatively simple question. I would like to install Tcl in order to compile the VMD code and its plugins from source (http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/plugins/doxygen/compiling.html#compiling). So far I have installed the tcl port:
>
> tcl @8.6.11_0+corefoundation+threads (active)
>
> Commands ‘which tcl’ and ‘whereis tcl’ return nothing. I need to find Tcl’s ‘include' and ‘lib' directories in order to compile VMD’s plugins. The command
>
> sudo find /opt -name “tcl*” results in
>
>  /opt/local/bin/tclsh8.6
>  /opt/local/bin/tclsh
>
> and
>
>  /opt/local/include
>  /opt/local/lib/tcl8
>  /opt/local/lib/tcl8.6
>
> There I see some Tcl header and library files. Are these the files that I have to use? Is the main Tcl executable called “tclsh” instead of the bare “tcl”?
>
> When I set the TCLINC=/opt/local/include/ and TCLLIB=/opt/local/lib/tcl8.6/ and run the compilation as
>
>  gmake MACOSX TCLINC=$TCLINC TCLLIB=$TCLLIB/lib_MACOSX
>
> it crashes with the following error:
>
> gmake[1]: Entering directory '/Users/mabalenk/install/vmd/plugins'
> gmake[2]: Entering directory '/Users/mabalenk/install/vmd/plugins/molfile_plugin'
> Building Molecule File Reader plugins
> c++: error: /opt/local/lib/tcl8.6//lib_MACOSX: No such file or directory
> gmake[2]: *** [Makefile:381: vtfplugin.so] Error 1
> gmake[2]: Leaving directory '/Users/mabalenk/install/vmd/plugins/molfile_plugin'
> gmake[1]: *** [Makefile:154: molfilelibs] Error 1
> gmake[1]: Leaving directory '/Users/mabalenk/install/vmd/plugins'
> gmake: *** [Make-arch:437: MACOSX] Error 2
>
> What is this magical lib_MACOSX and where do I find it? Thank you for your help and have a great day ahead!

You can find out what a port installs with e.g. "port contents tcl"

Yes, the Tcl program is called tclsh.

I'm not familiar with lib_MACOSX. The instructions you're referring to say

> What follows is a simple example of how we compile one of the plugin architectures on our local machines here at UIUC

So I think "lib_MACOSX" is a detail of how they've set up their machines at UIUC and not something you would find on your machine or other machines.

The instructions you're referring to mention Mac OS X 10.2, released 18 years ago, so the instructions may not be much use today; not only macOS but also Tcl may have changed since then.