Variance Handling Question

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Nov 20 07:59:51 UTC 2021

On Nov 18, 2021, at 13:15, James Secan wrote:

> I’m moving to a Big Sur system, and since I don’t use Xcode for anything I manually download and install the CLI tools by themsleves.  I installed v12.5.1 as per the info on the MacPorts wiki (https://trac.macports.org/wiki/XcodeVersionInfo) about which Xcode goes with which macOS.  Now the softwareupdater is nagging me to update to v13.0 (along with the already annoying nag to update to Monterey).
>
> I am assuming that this upgrade to CLI toolkit v13.0 is not a good idea until I move up to Monterey.  Is this correct?  If so, is there some way to may the softwareupdater stop the nagging?

If software update suggests that you can update the CLT to version 13, it is probably compatible with your OS. The XcodeVersionInfo wiki page is updated by volunteers. Maybe nobody updated it yet to indicate this compatibility. Based on previous Xcode versioning, I would expect at least some versions of Xcode 13 and its CLT to be compatible with Big Sur, but macOS 11 did introduce a major versioning change for macOS and I don't know if they also made changes to their Xcode and CLT versioning. You could check the release notes for Xcode 13 and their CLT and if you discover compatibility that is not indicated on XcodeVersionInfo you could update that page with that info. For example:

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/xcode-release-notes/xcode-13-release-notes

"Xcode 13 requires a Mac running macOS 11.3 or later"

I don't know of any way to suppress software update's messages about available updates to the CLT or anything else.