multi-ask

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Nov 21 16:15:52 UTC 2021

On Nov 21, 2021, at 10:08, Chilli wrote:

> The reason I chose Mojave was because it is the last macOS to support running 32-bit applications, but obviously my research was not deep enough. Since it can not build 32-bit applications... looks like I'll be backing up the Mojave install and replacing wih High Sierra.

With considerable effort, you may be able to build 32-bit software on Mojave. The trick may have been to force MacPorts to use the 10.13 SDK, or it may have involved installing the OS headers into /usr/include using the hidden installer pkg. There is some information floating around somewhere in the MacPorts archives about this. However MacPorts base wasn't designed to accommodate 32-bit building on 10.14 so it may be more trouble than it's worth. I myself stayed on High Sierra until recently to be able to continue to build 32-bit software. However the inconvenience of the Let's Encrypt former root certificate expiring has compelled me to leave 32-bit software behind and upgrade my OS.