provide latest OS root certificates via port?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 11:12:26 UTC 2021

Hi,

Users of older Apple OSes that are no longer receiving updates probably noticed that Safari and Chrome-based browsers no longer connect to lots of sites because a crucial root certificate has expired.

Answer 1 to https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/422332/how-do-i-update-my-root-certificates-on-an-older-version-of-mac-os-e-g-el-capi provides an easy solution, but you need access to an up-to-date OS install.

These are not proprietary to Apple so I presume it should be possible to provide the suggested `rootcerts.pem` file via a port - possibly even install it in the post-activate. I had a look but couldn't find if such a port already exists. I think it'd help for lots of people... I'd propose a draft but I'm running 10.9 ... so thanks to anyone picking this up!

R.