provide latest OS root certificates via port?

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Fri Oct 29 11:23:38 UTC 2021

You're (probably - seems plausible but I haven't verified it myself) right that that's annoying and fixable.

But there's a big reason to think carefully about whether to do that. If something is old enough that it isn't receiving certificate updates, it probably isn't receiving security updates either. And the same applications and functionality that need current root certificates to work are also likely to be common attack points.

So at the very least, anything that makes it easier to take such a risk should come with a prominent warning, IMO.