During Migration to Arm64 mac, should I null out archs='x86_64' from installed ports list?

Jim DeLaHunt list+macports-users at jdlh.com
Tue Apr 12 02:10:17 UTC 2022

Hello, MacPorts folks:

I am following the MacPorts wiki "Migration"[1] instructions as I move
from a macOS 10.14.6 Mojave machine with an intel CPU to a macOS 13.1
Monterey machine with an arm64 CPU. I got stuck with a bug in the tiff
port, which fails during destroot under the +universal variant. I opened
a ticket[2] against tiff +universal on arm64, but that is not my
question here.

I don't know why MacPorts was trying to install tiff with the +universal
variant. I am following the Migration instructions. They have me make a
list of installed ports using `port -qv installed`. None of these
entries mention "requested_variants='+universal'". 91% have an empty
string for requested variants. 9% request some other variant. However,
two-thirds mention "archs='x86_64'", while the other one-third mention
"archs='noarch'", and none have empty strings or some other value for
"archs". I use the restore_ports.tcl script to install the ports on the
new computer.

Here are four representative entries from my list of installed ports:

   aalib @1.4rc5_5 (active) requested_variants='' platform='darwin 18' archs='x86_64' date='2021-08-30T13:16:05-0700'
   abcde @2.9.3_1 (active) requested_variants='' platform='darwin 18' archs='noarch' date='2022-01-23T21:52:02-0800'
   apr-util @1.6.1_2+no_bdb (active) requested_variants='+no_bdb' platform='darwin 18' archs='x86_64' date='2021-08-30T13:16:21-0700'
   aspell @0.60.8_1 (active) requested_variants='-nls' platform='darwin 18' archs='x86_64' date='2021-08-30T13:34:34-0700'

Might the presence of "archs='x86_64'" cause the restore_ports.tcl
script to ask for +universal variants on the new computer?

Should I perhaps null out the value "x86_64" from the archs entries in
my installed ports list?  i.e. turn them into "archs='' "? Or should I
replace them with the value "arm64"?

I don't see any mention in the Migration instructions about modifying
"archs" entries when migrating from one architecture to another.

[1] <https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration>
[2] <https://trac.macports.org/ticket/64933>, tiff at 4.3.0_0+universal:
Failed to destroot tiff, "libtiff-4.pc differs"

--
.    --Jim DeLaHunt, Vancouver, Canada