During Migration to Arm64 mac, should I null out archs='x86_64' from installed ports list?

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Tue Apr 12 14:13:47 UTC 2022

Hi,

Speaking only for myself, I generally suggest *not* using the
restore_ports.tcl script. When I migrate to a new OS I generate the list
of installed ports *and* requested ones, and follow the instructions as
far as wi[ping out my old ports prior to the update.

However, when restoring the ports I prefer to just manually do this. If
you just open up the list of requested ports, in whatever text reader
you prefer, its usually a quite short list (much shorter than all
installed) and its a short job to go through and reinstall by hand
whatever you still want. When you do this it will not try and preserve
the same variants as before, unless you actively request them, and I
find this a good idea as default variant sometimes get updated so just
using the same as before is not always the best idea.

This is not to say you still will not have issues with the new Arm arch,
as for sure some ports will have issues with that. But at least you will
not have issues because of old settings that should no longer be preserved.

Chris