During Migration to Arm64 mac, should I null out archs='x86_64' from installed ports list?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Apr 13 04:29:29 UTC 2022

On Apr 11, 2022, at 21:10, Jim DeLaHunt wrote:

> Might the presence of "archs='x86_64'" cause the restore_ports.tcl script to ask for +universal variants on the new computer?
>
> Should I perhaps null out the value "x86_64" from the archs entries in my installed ports list?  i.e. turn them into "archs='' "? Or should I replace them with the value "arm64"?
>
> I don't see any mention in the Migration instructions about modifying "archs" entries when migrating from one architecture to another.

No, there is certainly no need to do that. The purpose of the migration process is to assist you in moving a MacPorts installation from one computer to another where those computer differ by OS version and/or architecture.

MacPorts is probably installing tiff universal because something you wanted to install cannot be compiled for arm64, so MacPorts will compile it for x86_64, and its dependencies must therefore be installed universal, and one if its dependencies is tiff.