During Migration to Arm64 mac, should I null out archs='x86_64' from installed ports list?

Jim DeLaHunt list+macports-users at jdlh.com
Thu Apr 14 21:57:11 UTC 2022

On 2022-04-11 19:10, Jim DeLaHunt wrote:

> Hello, MacPorts folks:
>
> I am following the MacPorts wiki "Migration"[1] instructions as I move
> from a macOS 10.14.6 Mojave machine with an intel CPU to a macOS 13.1
> Monterey machine with an arm64 CPU.…

Ahem. The new machine is of course macOS 12.3.1 Monterey, not 13.1. You
can stop polling Software Update looking for macOS 13. :-)
> I don't know why MacPorts was trying to install tiff with the
> +universal variant.…

I found out the cause of the +universal variant. My list of installed
ports includes port qt4-mac. This port does not support arm64, so it
complies for x86_64. Thus it forces all its dependencies to be
re-installed with the +universal variant. This is a surprisingly long
list, and includes port tiff +universal.

I no longer need qt4-mac, so I dropped it from the list of ports to
restore. After this, the restore_ports.tcl script no longer installed
+universal variants.

> Here are four representative entries from my list of installed ports:
>    aalib @1.4rc5_5 (active) requested_variants='' platform='darwin 18' archs='x86_64' date='2021-08-30T13:16:05-0700'
>    abcde @2.9.3_1 (active) requested_variants='' platform='darwin 18' archs='noarch' date='2022-01-23T21:52:02-0800'
>    apr-util @1.6.1_2+no_bdb (active) requested_variants='+no_bdb' platform='darwin 18' archs='x86_64' date='2021-08-30T13:16:21-0700'
>    aspell @0.60.8_1 (active) requested_variants='-nls' platform='darwin 18' archs='x86_64' date='2021-08-30T13:34:34-0700'
>
> Might the presence of "archs='x86_64'" cause the restore_ports.tcl
> script to ask for +universal variants on the new computer?
>
> Should I perhaps null out the value "x86_64" from the archs entries in
> my installed ports list?  i.e. turn them into "archs='' "? Or should I
> replace them with the value "arm64"?

Based on Ryan's helpful response on this thread, I think the answers to
these questions are "No" and "No". The values for "archs" (and for
"platform", which does not match the destination systems's 'darwin 21')
are no obstacle to the restore_ports.tcl script succeeding with its
migration.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

--
.    --Jim DeLaHunt, Vancouver, Canada