GIMP Quartz broken on 10.7, perhaps gtk

Riccardo Mottola riccardo.mottola at libero.it
Wed Dec 14 01:34:30 UTC 2022

Hi!

I decided to bite the bulled and update things also on my 10.6 system,
which I use as stable. I tried to update only certain core building
packages which I use for ArcticFox, without affecting gimp, but at one
point I had gimp crashing at startup, but revdep *not* detecting
anything wrong.
I upgraded gimp too (it needs just one patch) and it starts again,
however it exhibts the same issues as on 10.7: all comes up, but no text
anywhere in the interface!

Lukas Oberhuber wrote:
> It's definitely gtk2 based. `gtk-osx-application` is its own project,
> which is at version 3 or so (I presume from your listing). GIMP 2.99
> is the first GIMP version that works with gtk3.

This is interesting, how can it be checked further? While upgrading
gimp, gtk3 got pulled in! Maybe that's the issue?

> I think this is a reasonable assumption that this is the font
> packages, rather than gtk2, but really hard to know. I've found
> debugging font related problems hard, because there are so many
> packages and factors involved.

If someone has a clue.. I was thinking of downgrading one or the other
library with a local repository and rebuilding. That could help
pin-pointing the issue. But where to start?

Riccardo