WARNING: Validate your icu dependents.

Bill Cole macportsusers-20171215 at billmail.scconsult.com
Wed Dec 14 14:38:05 UTC 2022

This is NOT a request for assistance or advice, just a warning from a
fellow user of an issue you MAY run into this week that you should be
aware of...

Recently the 'icu' port got updated and as a result, many dependents
need updates after installing the new icu. Most ports will Just Work if
you're installing prebuilt binaries or building everything from source.
HOWEVER, if you (like me) have MacPorts worlds that support and/or are
supported by installations of non-MacPorts packages (e.g. Perl modules
lacking ports) you may find that you have weird failures after MacPorts
upgrades because of some link problem deep in a call chain somewhere...
If the failure involves non-mp pieces, rev-upgrade either won't catch it
or won't fix it.

I've run into a few of these in the past 3 days, and rather than  doing
careful analysis I'm currently just rebuilding a few things (e.g. Perl
itself and all my non-mp modules) from source locally to clean it up. I
needed to do the same with  Postfix, but only because I use a bunch of
variants.

If you cannot afford to put in at least a few minutes of validation and
maybe a few hours of rebuild, you may want to postpone your regularly
scheduled sync/upgrade cycle until you can watch it more carefully.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org
Not Currently Available For Hire