Upgrading to macOS 12.3 will break many ports

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Feb 1 00:56:47 UTC 2022

Heads up! For users who want MacPorts to "just work" I recommend not upgrading to macOS 12.3 (or the beta of it that is already out) for awhile, because it will remove /usr/bin/python, upon which many ports probably still rely. Stick with macOS 12.2 or earlier until we've had a chance to notice and fix these issues.

If you're willing to endure some temporary breakage and help us resolve these issues, then upgrade to 12.3 when it's out (or to the beta now if you're particularly adventurous) and report any issues you find, especially problems resulting from /usr/bin/python being missing. Sending a pull request that fixes the problem (for example by having the port use MacPorts python27 or newer instead) would be the most helpful. If you are interested in contributing in this way and need help with how to fix a particular port, write to the macports-dev mailing list.