Is this git handling of a problem on my macports-ports fork&clone OK?

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Wed Feb 23 14:10:46 UTC 2022

Gerben Wierda wrote:

> But I have been advised a pull is not enough, I should first do a fetch.

If you're referring to my private reply, what I said was that a rebase
was not enough to bring master up to date with upstream/master, you have
to fetch as well.

As per the git-pull man page:

       git pull runs git fetch with the given parameters and
        then depending on configuration options or command line flags,
will call
        either git rebase or git merge to reconcile diverging branches.

Our project policy is to avoid merge commits.

- Josh