MacPorts XCode Installation

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Sat Feb 26 20:37:43 UTC 2022

On Sat, 26 Feb 2022, Peter Hancock wrote:

> Quite. I have full Xcode, regretfully, plus the CLI tools. I'm never
> confiident that some that Macports installation needs the full thing.

I've never wanted to find out the hard way, so I always install the full
Xcode (after a lot of digging around to find an old version -- 10.0 -- for
my ancient MacBook Pro and High Sierra).

> Being alerted is one thing, undergoing the grief of installing The Full
> Thing is another, and uninstalling TFT afterwards yet another. (It's not
> 100% clear to me how to get rid of it, while keeping the CLT)

I have a 500GB SSD, so space isn't a problem :-)

> A peripheral point is the way Apple deletes "receipts" for previous
> command reinstalls, and once or twice a month, one (seemingly) has to
> jump through the well-worn hoop of touching a flag-file into existence,
> doing an Apple update, and deleting the flag afterwards.
>
> That's tolerable, but it's a chore, and a worrying one. It's tempting to
> think (falsely): if I install TFT, perhaps this nonsense will stop.
>
> The clearer this (general, TFT) topic can be made, the better.

I'm not quite sure what this is all about; then again, as I said I always
install the full Xcode and I've never seen this problem.

-- Dave