MacPorts XCode Installation

chilli.namesake at gmail.com chilli.namesake at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 21:07:41 UTC 2022

I don't know if this will be all that helpful because it is pretty old information. Bought a Mac in 2010 with Snow Leopard, but I didn't want the default install, trimmed it down to a bare minimum system that still had a desktop, disabled all possible features and removed them, etc. I think my custom footprint with XCode is less than a quarter of the default size of Snow Leopard with out Xcode. I even built an installer to install the custom snow system with the select XCode packages, but I never had to use it but for the one time in late 2010. To get MacPorts working without full installing XCode, iirc after consultig Ryan, I installed only these packages from XCode 3.6.2

DevSDK.pkg
gcc4.2.pkg
llvm-gcc4.2.pkg
X11SDK.pkg
QuickTimeSDK.pkg
CoreAudioSDK.pkg
OpenGLSDK.pkg
DeveloperToolsCLI.pkg
DeveloperToolsSystemSupport.pkg
clang.pkg

And MacPorts worked great for nearly a decade before I couldn't keep up with fixing broken updates and stopped updating, but the machine is still extremely stable and all the ports I use still work, just at now outdated versions and no longer being upgraded.

XCode current is far more complex than 3.6.2, but I bet that underneath the behemoth of currentish XCodes there are bound to be about a dozen packages included that one could install individually and still have MacPorts work, dare I say, flawlessly.