ffmpeg unexpectedly uninstalled

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jan 4 01:05:13 UTC 2022

> On 3 Jan 2022, at 11:54 pm, Michael Newman via macports-users <macports-users at lists.macports.org> wrote:
>
> When I periodically update MacPorts I also run:
>
> sudo port -f uninstall inactive

Why are you using the -f option here. That could force something to happen that might not be a good idea. Generally speaking you should not use it as a matter of course, and only when you really need to, for some specific reason.

> This seemed to work fine until last month when ffmpeg was uninstalled. I reinstalled and forgot about it.
>
> But, it happened again yesterday:
>
> --->  Deactivating ffmpeg @4.4.1_1+gpl2
> --->  Cleaning ffmpeg
> --->  Uninstalling ffmpeg @4.4.1_1+gpl2
> --->  Cleaning ffmpeg
>
> So, I reinstalled and tried:
>
> MrMuscle:~ mnewman$ sudo port -f uninstall inactive
> Password:
> Error: No ports matched the given expression
>
> I checked the "requested" ports here from a file I created for the Big Sur migration:
>
> MrMuscle:~ mnewman$ ls -la /Users/mnewman/Desktop/requested.txt
> -rwxrwxrwx@ 1 mnewman  staff  359 Jun  8  2021 /Users/mnewman/Desktop/requested.txt*
> MrMuscle:~ mnewman$ grep ffmpeg /Users/mnewman/Desktop/requested.txt
> ffmpeg
>
> So, ffmpeg is definitely a requested port.
>
> I'm baffled. What's going on here?

Are you sure you don’t still have a version of ffmpeg installed ? The above only temoved inactive ports, it did not uninstall any active ports.