ffmpeg unexpectedly uninstalled

Michael Newman mgnewman at mac.com
Tue Jan 4 01:56:43 UTC 2022

I'm using the -f option because I copied it from some recommendation I read somewhere. I'm not smart enough to figure things like this out myself so I usually rely on what I find by searching. For years I just ran:

sudo port selfupdate
sudo port upgrade outdated

But then I read somewhere that to remove unneeded junk I should also run:

sudo port -f clean --all all
sudo port -f uninstall inactive
sudo port uninstall leaves

I guess I found out that was wrong. What should I run when I do my periodic selfupdate?

And, yes, I'm sure there was not another version of ffmpeg installed. I have a shell script that runs daily which uses ffmpeg. When I ran the script after updating macports there was an error message about there being no /opt/local/bin/ffmpeg. After I installed ffmpeg the script ran OK.