Uninstalling MacPorts on Mac M1 Chip

Lisa Kim lisakimwpg at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 16:45:45 UTC 2022

Hi,

I would like to uninstall MacPorts entirely from my Macbook Pro M1. I am currently running MacOS Monterey.
I initially installed MacPorts on my MacBook Air 2011?, but when I bought my new Macbook Pro M1, I transferred all of the files from the old to new computer. As a result, I still have MacPorts on my new mac. I would like to uninstall it entirely.

In an attempt to uninstall MacPorts myself when I first bought the new mac, I may have tried to delete any associated files by searching “MacPorts”. But truthfully, I don’t remember if I had any luck.

I have followed the instructions posted on the guide.macports.org website, but have had no success. The output I receive from the “$ sudo port -fp uninstall installed” input is:

-bash: $: command not found

I have no idea where to go from here. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.