Mojave and Macports

Bill Cole macportsusers-20171215 at billmail.scconsult.com
Thu Jan 13 23:01:05 UTC 2022

On 2022-01-13 at 16:26:01 UTC-0500 (Thu, 13 Jan 2022 15:26:01 -0600)
Will Senn <will.senn at gmail.com>
is rumored to have said:
[...]
> My question for y'all goes like this - How long will macports continue
> to "work" on Mojave?

No one can actually give a fixed date for that which you could
reasonably rely upon.

MacPorts still has support for Tiger. That's 10 releases older than
Mojave. It is unlikely that the aggregate 'vision' of the people doing
the work of keeping MP going will change so much as to drop Mojave
before it is simply impossible to continue to support it. If I recall
correctly, dropping Panther only happened because the last
Panther-capable machine available to the project died. Speaking only as
a long-time user and observer of MacPorts, I would be surprised if
Mojave support went away in this decade.

With that said, "support" in MacPorts' core is not the only thing to be
concerned with. One thing I found running Snow Leopard until last
February on a 32bit-only CoreDuo was that support in ports I was using
or tried to use was slowly crumbling over time, often beyond anything
MacPorts could work around. The biggest headaches weren't even rooted in
hardware or OS version per se, but in the toolchain (gcc/clang/etc.) and
runtime (libgcc/libcxx/etc.) evolution. Re-bootstrapping my whole
MacPorts world never became impossible, but by the end it was a
multi-day festivity involving building multiple toolchains and learning
obscure command-line options for port. It may never become impossible
for to keep using MacPorts on Mojave, but it may end up taking so much
babysitting that you'd rather not. I hope that's a long time, because my
personal machines are staying there for some time as well.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org
Not Currently Available For Hire