Can I use Macports for Gimp maintenance?

Lukas Oberhuber lukaso at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 10:06:12 UTC 2022

Sorry, failed to include mailing list...

>> We use Circle CI which doesn’t go that far back either (only 4
versions). If any of you are interested in how we do it today, here’s the
repo:
>> https://gitlab.gnome.org/Infrastructure/gimp-macos-build

> Lukas, it would be great if you’re able to use MacPorts to package GIMP,
and we’ll certainly do whatever we can to support your efforts!

Really appreciated. A team that is excited and willing to help is a big
deal.

I have paused for now on Macports because:

   - too many complications including not all the packages installing
   - frequently not respecting the -x11 +no_x11 +quartz -python27 variants.
   - This meant that macports still using X11 couldn't be worked around.
   - Not clear how I do custom ports given problems above (and then if
   there are too many to make it worth it).

Positives:

   - Was able to get builds for older SDKs

Here is an MR with the work in progress for Macports:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/Infrastructure/gimp-macos-build/-/merge_requests/121

I've now shifted to trying similar on homebrew. I've been able to patch to
get earlier SDKs, and have the application running, but with a few problem
packages.

Things I still need (or need to try):

- Ability to (by default) create debug builds (helps for crash reports)
(may just be more env variable trickery)
- Test that package building indeed works properly (the ultimate goal)
- Make sure that I've reduced my maintenance burden (on homebrew this is
maintaining my own Tap, not sure on MacPorts).

For reference, I'm packaging the latest of most packages for both Gimp 2.10
and 2.99, and then for gimp 2.99 also HEAD Gtk3 and patched Cairo. Babl and
Gegl typically are revved at the same time as a new version of Gimp.