Port tree not syncing

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Jun 3 02:19:24 UTC 2022

On Jun 2, 2022, at 20:44, Craig Treleaven wrote:

> I’m a port maintainer…but I’m having a user problem.  For some weeks now, ‘sudo port selfupdate’ has not been properly updating my local ports tree(s) on my main Mac.  About 2 weeks ago, I was going to post a question about this but then I ran ‘sudo port -d selfupdate’ and it seemed that all the missed updates were now caught up.  I put it down to gremlins in the ether but then I noticed recently that I had no outdated ports when I knew that there should be several.  I tried ’sudo port -d sync’ with the same result, ie no updates.
>
> Obviously, ’sudo port selfupdate’ has worked flawlessly for me for quite a few years.  TTBOMK, I haven’t changed anything relevant on my side.  I’m overdue to update my OS version (I’m on 10.15.7).
>
> I’ve pasted the debug log from ’sudo port -d sync’ in case that shows something useful:
>
> https://paste.macports.org/69b104de0e93
>
> BTW, I have another older Mac that also has MacPorts installed.  ’sudo port selfupdate’ continues to work as expected on that machine.
>
> Suggestions on what’s wrong and how to fix it?

From that log, looks like you have two sources configured: the standard rsync one, which looks like it updated ok, and one you created at file:///Users/craigtreleaven/mp/macports-ports, which looks like it contains a full collection of ports and did not get updated on that sync.

Presumably file:///Users/craigtreleaven/mp/macports-ports is the one marked as default in sources.conf so any ports present there (which is presumably all of them) override those in the rsync tarball, which is why nothing is shown as outdated. So there's no reason for your sources.conf to continue to list the rsync tarball since those ports won't be used. You can delete the things related to ports in /opt/local/var/macports/sources too. (The ones related to base can stay, or will be recreated when you selfupdate.)

What is file:///Users/craigtreleaven/mp/macports-ports? Is it a git clone of the macports-ports repository? Ours or your fork? What happens if you try to update it with git manually? Is there an error? Or is perhaps a branch other than master checked out?