Running a mail server via MacPorts on macOS Monterey

Bill Cole macportsusers-20171215 at billmail.scconsult.com
Fri Mar 4 22:12:32 UTC 2022

On 2022-03-03 at 08:38:47 UTC-0500 (Thu, 3 Mar 2022 14:38:47 +0100)
Gerben Wierda via macports-users <gerben.wierda at rna.nl>
is rumored to have said:

> Apart from Steven Smith, are there other users here that run a mail
> server setup via MacPorts? And is already someone else running on
> Monterey?

I have run a personal/family mail/web/dns server whose componentry* is
almost all built by MacPorts since ~2006. Current platform is El
Capitan, because Apple has made macOS increasingly hostile to server
use. When running ElCap becomes too much of a hassle (or when that
machine dies,) I expect that I will finally move its functionality to a
FreeBSD machine.

Catalina and later simply are not fit for server duty. The deliberate
breaking of standard logging, broad locking of the system, and breakage
in the legacy implementation of 'cron' make it clear that Apple doesn't
want people fiddling around with their Macs "under the hood" or using
them as unattended utility machines.

(*) Apache HTTPD, Postfix, Dovecot, BIND, SpamAssassin, and a bunch of
tools that I use for administrative/research work on that machine. Also
MIMEDefang, which is hand-built because it's got some (originally
intentional and explicit)  Mac-hostility and there's no port. Yet.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org
Not Currently Available For Hire