Running a mail server via MacPorts on macOS Monterey

Marius Schamschula lists at schamschula.com
Fri Mar 4 22:37:48 UTC 2022

After running a full server using Debian Linux, then mkLinux, I ran core MacOS X as a server (with bits and pieces manually built).

The Apple made MacOS X Server available, but after version 10.6.x stated dumbing it down to the point where I gave up on it.

I used MacPorts for the web server functionality, but never for a mail server.

I’ve been running both my home server and work web server (before being moved to a virtual machine, it ran on an 2009 Mac Pro - I still use that machine for testing) under FreeBSD for many years.

I like the stability, zfs, and FreeBSD ports (although doing everything with Makefiles is not my thing). Both only run mail to forward system messages to me.

Marius
--
Marius Schamschula