MacPorts XCode Installation

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Mar 7 12:07:41 UTC 2022

On Mar 7, 2022, at 06:02, Michele Venturi wrote:

> Sadly xcode is needed even for something as simple as
> a media player, for example mpv, I wonder why actually.

Media players are probably extremely complicated pieces of software. Hardly what I would call simple.

In the case of mpv, it requires Xcode, on recent OS versions, because parts of it are built using the Swift language, and this was thought to be the only way to get those parts to build properly. See https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/commit/8222cfaa4124483d2faad4f35a209885d440dd61.

mpv is a difficult piece of software to get to build properly. I recently committed numerous changes to hopefully fix many of those problems in the mpv port, but there are probably still other problems remaining.