Remove "Phantom" Ports

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Mar 10 13:10:36 UTC 2022

On Mar 10, 2022, at 03:18, Sriranga Veeraraghavan wrote:

> On Mar 10, 2022, at 00:34, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Mar 9, 2022, at 17:13, James Secan wrote:
>>>
>>> when I run "port upgrade installed -u outdated”
>>
>> This command doesn't make a great deal of sense. You're asking MacPorts to upgrade the "installed" ports (which includes those those that are outdated and those that aren't) and also the "outdated" ports (those that are outdated). It would be simpler and more efficient to just run "sudo port -u upgrade outdated". Single-dash/single-letter flags like "-u" go after "port" and before the action (the action in this case being "upgrade").
>
> Thanks for clarifying,

In fact I should clarify further that the "installed" pseudoport includes not only active ports but also inactive ports (which are never considered outdated), so running "upgrade installed" does make MacPorts do quite a bit of extra work that can be avoided by running "upgrade outdated".

> I mis-typed the command I normally use (which you mentioned below):
>
> $ sudo port -u upgrade outdated
>
> Based on your description, it may be safer to just do:
>
> $ sudo port upgrade outdated
>
> and periodically run:
>
> $ sudo port reclaim
>
> I have never seen a reminder to run port reclaim, but my macports installation is old and I may have messed with the config files at some point and forgotten about it.

"port reclaim --enable-reminders" enables reminders;
"port reclaim --disable-reminders" disables them.