Is there a well-defined way to do "bleeding edge" ports? Should there be one?

Andrew Udvare audvare at gmail.com
Sun May 22 00:23:49 UTC 2022

If it's off GitHub or GitLab you don't have to create the tarball unless it
has submodules (you can also fetch multiple tarballs but this is complex).
I actually have a script to update my ports that are of 'latest version'
tarballs.

https://github.com/Tatsh/ports/blob/master/_resources/bin/liveupdate

Unfortunately on MacPorts there's no PortGroup to use git or similar to
fetch the latest code. I guess it's because it will almost certainly bring
more tickets into the system especially when said latest versions are
important dependencies. On Gentoo we do have this feature (provided by
eclasses, equivalent of PoetGroup) and you have to make configuration
changes to use it when it comes to packages in the main tree. This makes
the point that you're on your own when you start doing this to your system.

You can write your own PortGroup to do this so the code can be shared among
your ports, similar to Gentoo's way:

https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/plain/eclass/git-r3.eclass

Basically, git clone if the clone isn't there already, update otherwise
(replacing fetch phase). Don't forget submodules. Make the clone live
somewhere permanent until the package is uninstalled. When installing, copy
recursively the clone to the normal build directory (replacing the extract
phase) then the rest of the system can work as is.