Is there a well-defined way to do "bleeding edge" ports? Should there be one?

Bill Cole macportsusers-20171215 at billmail.scconsult.com
Sun May 22 01:51:59 UTC 2022

On 2022-05-21 at 20:23:49 UTC-0400 (Sat, 21 May 2022 20:23:49 -0400)
Andrew Udvare <audvare at gmail.com>
is rumored to have said:

> If it's off GitHub or GitLab you don't have to create the tarball
> unless it
> has submodules (you can also fetch multiple tarballs but this is
> complex).

In this case (and for many ASF projects) the master version control is
Subversion, so the only way I'm getting a tarball is making it
client-side.

> I actually have a script to update my ports that are of 'latest
> version'
> tarballs.
>
> https://github.com/Tatsh/ports/blob/master/_resources/bin/liveupdate

That could be useful, thanks.

> Unfortunately on MacPorts there's no PortGroup to use git or similar
> fetch the latest code. I guess it's because it will almost certainly
> bring
> more tickets into the system

Understood. I see this mostly as a developers tool, with explicit
non-support.

> especially when said latest versions are
> important dependencies. On Gentoo we do have this feature (provided by
> eclasses, equivalent of PoetGroup) and you have to make configuration
> changes to use it when it comes to packages in the main tree. This
> makes
> the point that you're on your own when you start doing this to your
> system.
>
> You can write your own PortGroup to do this so the code can be shared
> among
> your ports, similar to Gentoo's way:
>
> https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/plain/eclass/git-r3.eclass
>
> Basically, git clone if the clone isn't there already, update
> otherwise
> (replacing fetch phase). Don't forget submodules. Make the clone live
> somewhere permanent until the package is uninstalled. When installing,
> copy
> recursively the clone to the normal build directory (replacing the
> extract
> phase) then the rest of the system can work as is.

Food for thought. Thanks.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org