Does the migration procedure keep ports versions?

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Sat Oct 1 13:07:16 UTC 2022

See https://www.macworld.com/article/673939/this-is-how-long-macs-and-macbooks-last.html <https://www.macworld.com/article/673939/this-is-how-long-macs-and-macbooks-last.html>
and in particular down at the section entitled "When do Macs become obsolete?”

This is NOT worse than Windows.
https://www.computerworld.com/article/3209977/windows-10-is-making-too-many-pcs-obsolete.html <https://www.computerworld.com/article/3209977/windows-10-is-making-too-many-pcs-obsolete.html>
https://www.protecrecycling.com/windows-11-and-computer-recycling/ <https://www.protecrecycling.com/windows-11-and-computer-recycling/>

etc.

One can of course still run Linux, probably still with updates, on many Windows boxes and some Macs, possibly without support of every peripheral or hardware feature; but older Macs would actually be likely to do better there.

OTOH, if kept clean, hardware can last longer, esp. with an SSD rather than a spinning disk. And some other hardware can last MUCH longer; I have a low-end Sun workstation (Sun Blade 100) that’s about 21 years old, and aside from some disk replacements (there are two, mirrored, so a single failure replaced reasonably promptly doesn’t lose anything), it just keeps running, if slowly by modern standards. Eventually I’ll migrate my slow home email server from there to a six years younger and far more powerful machine (but probably with most speedup being more RAM and much newer IMAP server software). But the Suns were built with overkill for airflow and everything else pertaining to reliability (rather than elegance or even performance), which is NOT particularly quiet or compact.