GIMP Quartz broken on 10.7, perhaps gtk

Lukas Oberhuber lukaso at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 13:32:48 UTC 2022

On Wed, 5 Oct 2022 at 10:41, Riccardo Mottola via macports-users <
macports-users at lists.macports.org> wrote:

> as I mentioned in this bug () GIMP is not usable on 10.7 because no text
> displays on any widget. The previous version did work.
> I want to investigate in which component the issue is.
> I suppose in GTK and its quartz integration.
>
> First, I wanto to understand if GIMP-quartz is based on gtk2 or gtk3.
>
> I see this:
>   gtk-osx-application-common-gtk2 @2.0.8_0
>   gtk-osx-application-common-gtk2 @3.0.1_2 (active)
>   gtk-osx-application-gtk2 @2.0.8_0
>   gtk-osx-application-gtk2 @3.0.1_2 (active)
>

> is the version "3.x" misleading and is it actually still gtk2 based? Or
> maybe the whole breakage is given by a gtk switch.

It's definitely gtk2 based. `gtk-osx-application` is its own project, which
is at version 3 or so (I presume from your listing). GIMP 2.99 is the first
GIMP version that works with gtk3.

If you are interested in my progress on GIMP 2.99 on macports, look here:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/Infrastructure/gimp-macos-build/-/tree/master-macports

BTW: which bug are you referencing?

> Do you think of font related packages instead, like harfbuzz?

I think this is a reasonable assumption that this is the font packages,
rather than gtk2, but really hard to know. I've found debugging font
related problems hard, because there are so many packages and factors
involved.