update and gimp

Riccardo Mottola riccardo.mottola at libero.it
Mon Oct 10 22:44:15 UTC 2022

Hi James,

James wrote:
> I installed Gimp, but had no joy with 'open with ...'
> Ryan explained how the system worked.
> Eventually I un-installed the macports version, installed Gimp's dmg and for ages everything 'just worked'
>
> I'm a believer in 'if it aint broke, don't fix it'. Time passed and all was well.
> Eventually I was persuaded to selfupdate and update outdated.
>
> My gimp dmg was removed !! the macports version was re-installed !! together with the broken 'open with ...' behavior.

The two gimps are installed indifferent positions, one is in
Applications one is inside Application/MacPorts, so they don't mess up
with and they can even co-exist. I think something different happend.

> Can anyone tell me what I must have done to achive this, certainly nothing deliberate.
>
> A comment for Ricardo, I spend 1/2 my day working at NOT the keyboard/console of TheMachineImWorkingOn so X11 is important. Remote Desktop is plain horrid, nomachine is better but straight X11 is by far the nicest.

Are you referring to me?
I don't use X11 for gimp on mac, but am avid quartz/aqua user and on the
older setup I am running, "Open As..." does work and integrates, as does
drag-n-drop.
The only caveat is  that, apparently due to my old MacOS version, the
first opened image gets opened twice.

Riccardo