libgcc9 and other ports that will never build on my system

chilli.namesake at gmail.com chilli.namesake at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 05:29:31 UTC 2022

With Mojave on Macmini6,1 & XCode 11.3.1
I get this:

port -vsN upgrade libgcc9
--->  Computing dependencies for libgcc9.
--->  Fetching distfiles for libgcc9
Error: gcc9 9.5.0 is not supported on Darwin 18 i386
Error: Failed to fetch libgcc9: incompatible macOS version
Error: See /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_macports_release_tarballs_ports_lang_gcc9/libgcc9/main.log for details.
Error: Follow https://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets if you believe there is a bug.
---------

I saw a bug report was opened, but wasn't paying much attention. This was closed 2 months ago
https://trac.macports.org/ticket/65415

In a couple or few other bug reports I've opened, most fixed and closed in due course, which is how I have known things to operate for the better part of 2 decades. But occasionally, some tickets are closed without the defect  being fixed, with something posted to the effect "you're not using the right version of XCode for your system, and we're not going to support it... " or similar, and I don't know what the heck they're talking about, because XCode 11 requires macOS 10.14 or later, and I don't know what other version of XCode I'm supposed to be using on Mojave. But there's a further port here, which is that some maintainers and bug fixing volunteers, those that usually fix and close bug reports, seem to want to close these tickets even though the problem still exists, as though there is a mean boss somewhere putting pressure on them to close tickets when, sometimes, the defect still exists, as though closing a ticket has some magical effect. This is just an uninformed opinion from mild exasperation.

So there's that. But the other thing is, I just don't care, if something isn't going to work, fine. But how do I get it to stop showing up in my outdated list so that I can just blanket-upgrade the outdated ports without the upgrade command failing when it reaches the problematic port? I'm sure it's in the manual somewhere, but I figured Ryan and a couple others seem to know the manual by heart and may have mercy on me and my bad eyes, and tell me how to stop a port from being reported it is outdated.