missing pre-compiled packages

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Sun Sep 18 11:41:24 UTC 2022

Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> I wonder why some pre-compiled packages are missing:
>
> * ccache – the directory `https://packages.macports.org/ccache/`  <https://packages.macports.org/ccache/%60>  is
>    empty
>
> * git – the directory `https://packages.macports.org/git/`  <https://packages.macports.org/git/%60>  doesn't
>    exist at all
>
> If this is expected, where is it documented?

Yes, it's expected that not all ports will have binaries available. See
<https://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#fromsource>.

The automated license checking doesn't have all the relevant
information, so it errs on the side of not distributing. Port
maintainers can add some options manually if it gets it wrong. I've done
that for ccache now and binaries should be uploaded soon. Git is a
considerably more difficult case to audit and it may well have a genuine
license conflict that precludes binary distribution.

- Josh