Can I disable progress bars?

Lukas Oberhuber lukaso at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 12:28:37 UTC 2022

On Fri, 23 Sept 2022 at 10:01, Lukas Oberhuber <lukaso at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Sept 2022 at 22:43, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 22 Sep 2022, Clemens Lang wrote:
>>
>> >   port upgrade outdated | cat
>> >
>> > This makes stdout a pipe rather than a tty and thus invalidates the
>> > first condition.
>>

> I've now run into the opposite problem, which is "Too long with no output
> (exceeded 10m0s): context deadline exceeded".
>
> So what I really need is a progress bar that writes something to the
> console at least every 9 minutes or so as long as it is still working. The
> offending package was rust.
>
> A single dot as progress indicator instead of the flurry of dots is
> probably the answer (plus doing it less often).

I'm very unfamiliar with Tcl, but I can't find the definition of
`ui_progress_generic` anywhere, which seems to be the code I need to
modify. It's called in portprogress.tcl. Or could this be a red herring and
it's actually dead code.

In addition, it seems there isn't a debugger that comes with Tcl, unless
someone has a recommendation for a macports included one.

Thanks for your help!