Does the migration procedure keep ports versions?

chilli.namesake at gmail.com chilli.namesake at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 00:06:52 UTC 2022

> On Sep 29, 2022, at 17:54, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Sep 2022, chilli.namesake at gmail.com wrote:
>
>> The initial reported spec, "a High Sierra MBP," is ambiguous. That could
>> mean a 2010 MBP, that can be updated up to High Sierra with a third
>> party enabler, or more likely Ces VLC meant that the machine's original
>> and default OS from Apple was High Sierra, indicating a 2018 model,
>> which is still supported by Apple up to current, or Ventura.
>
> Odd; mine is a mid-2010, and I just installed it without an "enabler"
> (whatever that is).  I do have the occasional problem though, since Sierra
> is recommended for this model; I needed HS to run some applications that I
> wanted i.e. all the old ones that I installed under Sierra and have
> disappeared from the store.

I am in good company then because I also have a mid-2010 MBP. Still runs Snow Leopard for the same reasons you gave, which is that the applications I use work fine on this version, but also because it is a loose media server, and more recent versions of macOS have changed or removed function I have with settings in apache.conf to serve directory listings on external drives, and I haven't yetfigured out how to defeat the newer "security enhancements."

When HS was first released, I swear it wasn't supported on 2010, and there was the typical expected uproar from customers, and a High Sierra patcher tool was quickly released by an independent developer (possibly http://dosdude1.com/software.html ) allowing models back to 2008 to install it, But according to MacTracker, High Sierra is supported on 2010 MBP.  Maybe I had it wrong, maybe Apple had a change of heart.