ImageMagick and rust?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Feb 6 05:53:35 UTC 2023

On Feb 5, 2023, at 23:18, James Secan wrote:

> Continuing to install all my MacPort ports on the new M2Pro Mini.  I’m watching ImageMagick install, and suddenly I’m seeing that rust is being installed.  I was not expecting that. Is ImageMagick being ported to rust?

Not to my knowledge.

ImageMagick depends on libheif which depends on rav1e which depends on rust.

libheif can be built without rav1e support, thus avoiding the rust dependency, but the libheif Portfile does not currently offer a way to do that. ImageMagick could also be built without libheif support, but the ImageMagick Portfile doesn't currently offer that either. Offering more choices is not necessarily better, and ports typically errs on the side of including features that not everybody needs, to simplify things.

This will be less troublesome once a build machine for macOS Ventura for arm64 is set up, since then you'll just receive a pre-compiled binary of rust and other ports from us rather than having to compile everything yourself. This will hopefully happen soon.