gcc12 fault?

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Sat Jun 3 03:56:48 UTC 2023

On 2/6/2023 16:47, Ken Cunningham wrote:

> You have probably already noted that which and type are both built in to the default zsh on Ventura and as far as I can tell from my testing here give identical results in every case. Both correctly predict the binary that will be executed in every case I tried.

Indeed, zsh is a bit special and implements both 'which' and 'type' in
terms of its 'whence' builtin (which has a lot of options and can tell
you pretty much anything you would ever want to know about a command's
disposition, check it out.) You will notice /usr/bin/which can thus give
different results to just 'which'.

> What will happen when you add and remove binaries from an upstream PATH folder is a bit difficult to predict accurately. I won't try to summarize the findings only to have someone point out their idea of an exception, but it's fair to say that it's best to open a new shell to get predictable results.

You would want to start a new shell if you changed the startup files.
Otherwise 'hash -r' is quite sufficient. Changing the value of PATH at
runtime will do that automatically in modern shells, BTW.

- Josh