Vim on Leopard (each OS < 10.6)

Julien Salort listes at salort.eu
Fri Mar 3 10:48:42 UTC 2023

Le 02/03/2023 à 19:05, Eckard Brauer a écrit :

> Maybe.
>
> Contained in ports is MacOSX10.6.sdk, what could be installed even on
> 10.5 machines, as the port shows. Currently, it seems to have some
> problem, but I'd rather try to have a deeper view inside.

My understanding is that the SDK is what allows an application to use
and link against system features, i.e. it contains header files, etc.

It does not contain the libraries themselves. Installing the
MacOS10.6sdk on 10.5 would allow to build an app targeted at Mac OS X
10.6, on a Mac OS X 10.5 machine. But that won't bring 10.6 features to
the 10.5 machine. Years ago when I used to write programs for Classic
Mac OS, the common practise was to do "weak linking" and check at
runtime if a particular symbol was available. I don't know if this is
still a thing. This is the only case that I can think of where just
installing the 10.6 SDK might be useful.

> And even if Vim @9.* can't be installed on MacOSX 10.5, there should be
> any installable version available -- or Macports should simply drop any
> support for OS < 10.6, as Vim (an editor) seems to be very basic, I use
> it for decades now.

So what needs figuring out is what is Grand Central Dispatch used for,
and can it be disabled ? Then you would need to build for 10.5 with the
Grand Central Dispatch features disabled. Since Grand Central Dispatch
is Apple tech, and vim works on a variety of systems, it would be highly
surprising that this is an actual requirement.

Cheers,

Julien