Vim on Leopard (each OS < 10.6)

Riccardo Mottola riccardo.mottola at libero.it
Mon Mar 6 21:41:23 UTC 2023

Hi Eckard,

Eckard Brauer wrote:
> :info:build In file included from vim.h:283,
> :info:build                  from alloc.c:14:
> :info:build os_mac.h:273:32: error: dispatch/dispatch.h: No such file or directory
>
> As this file seems to be included with only Xcode versions for OS'
> starting with Snow Leopard, I suspect that installing MacOSX10.6.sdk
> could solve that - if it installs on 10.5 at all (still runing through
> the deps, so I can't tell for now). In case it does, it should maybe
> belong to the dependencies of vim, in case it doesn't, there seems to
> be no way to install a recent vim version, so is there any previous
> version one can install?

from my experience, the latest officially supported version by upstream
is MacVim 7.3 for 10.5 and 7.4 for 10.6: that is what I have running on
my computers.
So the easiest solution is to "fix" these version in MacPorts. I don't
think that macports conditionally provides different versions - put
prove me wrong. librsvg is an exception IIRC.
Otherwise you could have a port overlay with your own local version.
Or MacPorts could provide e.g. "MacVim73" as a package the reverse of
this would be that on newer version it will eventually stop building.

Or you can have a patch, to be applied only on legacy OS versions, to
remove dispatch dependency. Most probably is not critical but somehow
convenient in the mac code part.

I would be interested, an editor is always "base" and useful, so fi a
consensus on how to address this is taken from macports and not just
with a local overlay, then the same route should be applied to emacs,
another "core" package nice to have in quartz.

In the meanwhile I will experiment locally with some portfiles.

Riccardo