[mysterious owner of 'libc++.1.dylib']

Maxim Abalenkov maxim.abalenkov at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 18:00:44 UTC 2023

Dear all,

I need help please. I’m compiling a C/C++ code base with clang++ compiler installed via MacPorts. When I look at the libraries my executable relies on I see:

  otool -L <exe_file>
  /usr/lib/libc++.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1300.36.0)

However, when I try to find out what package owns this library:

  sudo port provides "/usr/lib/libc++.1.dylib"
  /usr/lib/libc++.1.dylib does not exist.

Further inquiry with ‘pkgutil’ doesn’t shed more light either:

  pkgutil --file-info "/usr/lib/libc++.1.dylib"
  volume: /
  path: /usr/lib/libc++.1.dylib

Would you please tell me, who is the mysterious owner of the ‘libc++’?

Looking for libc++ in the names of ports returns the following list:

sudo port search libc++
gcc-devel-libcxx @13-20230226_1 (lang)
    libc++ header implementation to be used by gcc-devel

gcc10-libcxx @10.4.0_5 (lang)
    libc++ header implementation to be used by gcc10

gcc11-libcxx @11.3.0_6 (lang)
    libc++ header implementation to be used by gcc11

gcc12-libcxx @12.2.0_4 (lang)
    libc++ header implementation to be used by gcc12

libcxx @5.0.1_5 (lang)
    libc++ is a new implementation of the C++ standard library with support for C++11 and portions of C++14.

macports-libcxx @11.1.0 (lang)
    provides a newer libc++ from llvm for older systems

Found 6 ports.

—
Best wishes,
Maxim