progress display during port de/activation

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Sun Aug 11 12:52:37 UTC 2024

Hi,

On Sat, Aug 10, 2024 at 02:42:07PM +0200, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> Pardon the intrusion, but who else feels like the new progress
> indicator during port de/activation is an unnecessary overhead that
> (in my timing) can make these steps take up 1.5-2x as long? (And for
> me that's on spinning rust; I expect the overhead to be even larger
> with fast disks.)

The progress bar only displays for ports with many files that take long
to activate.

> For now I just hack it out in
> $prefix/libexec/registry2.0/portimage.tcl but unless I'm the only
> person to be bothered by this it would be nice to control this via a
> configuration flag.

port -q disables them. Alternatively, connect the stream they print to
(stdout by default, stderr on master) to something that's not a terminal
(e.g., | cat).

Feel free to contribute a macports.conf option in a pull request.

--
Clemens