python3 alias or executable

Bill Cole macportsusers-20171215 at billmail.scconsult.com
Sat Aug 31 16:34:38 UTC 2024

On 2024-08-31 at 11:39:29 UTC-0400 (Sat, 31 Aug 2024 17:39:29 +0200)
Nils Breunese <breun at macports.org>
is rumored to have said:

> Riccardo Mottola wrote:
>
>> I have several python versions installed an dused as dependencies my
>> macports itself. Fine.
>> To build ArcticFox browser, I need python2 and on 10.9 this is no
>> issue, I guess the system python is getting used.
>> Now I want to try do build current SeaMonkey since no binary is
>> provided anymore. Officially it fails, but I wanted to sniff around
>> and maybe with some experts here we can update things.
>>
>> However:
>> Lirr:seamonkey-2.53.18.2 multix$ ./mach build
>> This mach command requires python3, which wasn't found on the system!
>>
>> I suppose this is business for python_select port, right?
>
> python_select lets you select the default Python installation to use
> in your terminal, but generally shouldn’t be necessary to build
> software that uses Python.

It is useful (but maybe not essential, depending on the specific case)
if your build demands Python v3.x  with the name python3 on a platform
where your only installation of anything named python3 is via MacPorts.
A wisely designed build system would parameterize that so it could be
set up to use whichever python3 one prefers, but not everything is so
wisely designed. From what I've heard, the SeaMonkey codebase is not so
much designed as it is organically grown. Specifically, the 'mach' build
tool is a bespoke python3 package written for Mozilla codebases, which
may or may not be adaptable to something other than whatever is in $PATH
for python3.

[...]
> SeaMonkey also seems to provide binary releases for macOS x64:
> https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/

In the more detailed documentation, they specify 10.11 or later.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org
(AKA @grumpybozo at toad.social and many *@billmail.scconsult.com